Selling Wordpress IMDB Grabber Plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

JmZ

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
My latest creation.

Browsing with images prepended:
[slide]http://i.imgur.com/FIycl.jpg[/slide]

Post example (with image-retrieval enabled)
[slide]http://i.imgur.com/sdgX2.jpg[/slide]

Admin page:
[slide]http://i.imgur.com/LkDOa.jpg[/slide]

Description

This plugin will add a box when making a new post (or editing one), allowing you to enter an IMDB URL. If you do enter an IMDB URL, it will then grab information and store it as post meta-data.

You can then simply place a call to the plugin's function in your theme to output a box containing the relevant IMDB meta-data from the database.

Features
- Fetches IMDB info from a URL or name (less accurate if by name)
- Stores locally, so is only fetched once
- Table/box HTML completely customisable by editing the main plugin file
- Table/box can be easily styled by editing the plugin's CSS
- You can decide which fields are displayed
- Optionally you can display specific fields in custom HTML rather than generating table rows
- Optionally upload the IMDB image to lulzimg and store the lulzimg URL
- Auto-tag post by genres
- Auto-prepend image to the excerpt if it exists

Tech notes
- You need curl & json in PHP (so, PHP5 installed)
- Latest wordpress should be used
- It uses my IMDB API not IMDB directly
- Source isn't encoded/encrypted
- One purchase equals one "license", meaning one IP you own may use it

Price

$25 - Lifetime updates, even drastic changes/new features.

First 5 sales $19.99

Possible features coming soon
- Auto-detect the movie/tv name and add the data automatically, no user input

Paypal, PM for info or demo.

Last edited:
17 comments
Is any of the data editable after its been posted, such as changing the description or adding more star names? Also, is it possible to omit some of the categories, such as 'rating'?

Nice plugin...this could be very useful

There's also a small options page in the admin panel now, to alter the HTML and which fields to display in the table.

Is any of the data editable after its been posted, such as changing the description or adding more star names? Also, is it possible to omit some of the categories, such as 'rating'?

Nice plugin...this could be very useful

Like I just mentioned now, you can add/remove whichever fields you want using the options page provided.

You can't alter the values for a specific post, yet. This could possibly be built into future versions.

will it be lifetime updates ! poster would be great if built inn .

You will receive lifetime updates.

RT: the api it uses (one I coded and host), can actually do name-based searches, so yeah, it is possible.

But, there's always a but, it isn't accurate with common names due to imdb's search inaccuracy.

For example, if you search 'the avengers', its more than likely you want the upcoming movie (2012). But the top result will actually be the original TV show.

Meaning if I were to add an automatic option, it'd definitely pick up some incorrect results sometimes, purely due to imdb's search ordering/accuracy.

How about adding it and make an option for the user to choose? either auto get info, or the manual way. I think we could live with a mistake here and there and of course, you can increase the price. I'd be very interested in this plugin if you do it.

I just altered a chunk of the API backend so it should have far more accurate name-based searching now. It'll still occasionally pick up an incorrect result but much less often.

I'll look into automatically getting the info. The main issue now is finding the title of the movie from the post title (e.g. say you have "The.Human.Stain.2003.720p.BluRay.x264-HCA", we need "the human stain").

I did write some serious regex a while back to parse scene titles, but if you get a P2P release you're done for, no way that's getting parsed lol.

ok the price has gone up as you can see, by a considerable amount.

The reason for this is these planned and added features:
- (COMPLETED) Leech the IMDB image (upload it to lulzimg, store the lulzimg URL)
- (COMPLETED) Auto-tag post with genres
- (COMPLETED) Find by name rather than URI
- (COMPLETED) Prepend image to excerpt when one exists
- (PLANNED) Automatically detect movie name and add relevant information

The price is definitely worth it because I can guarantee I will be adding more and more features as time goes by.

I may also eventually change this into a "package" which you purchase that contains plugins for multiple platforms, not just wordpress.

Also do note, by purchasing this, you're getting lifetime access to my private imdb API. This API is far better than most imdb "grabbers" available, more accurate and more stable.

Last edited:
it is already complete and fetches all important information, including the box-shot/image.
since the last update it also has a full options page for total control of how it works.

not quite sure what updates you're waiting for, but thats the stage its at now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back