Skip to content
WJunction - Webmaster Forum

Thinking of applying for a job

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a job on a NZ job search website for students, it is a web hosting sales and support position. The job basically entails answering technical support tickets for between $15.00 and $60.00 an hour (12 USD to 49 USD, approximately).

I've had experience with cPanel, WHM, after having played around with them (and having my own personal websites and websites for a gaming server which I ran for over 7 months). Since this is a proper, paying job (and I want money) I was wanting to find out what kind of things I should read up on. The job descript. says:

For support staff you must have an understanding of the basic principals of DNS, cPanel, Apache and various other server-side services.

DNS - I would think it would be assisting people in changing their DNS servers, or manually editing them (I haven't had *that* much experience except trying to setup bind on an Ubuntu server)

cPanel - Plenty of experience using the regular control panel and a bit of experience with WHM

Apache - I know how to find the error logs, not quite sure what this would require

Other server-side scripts - not quite sure what other scripts, I would guess their billing system (probably WHMCS, but would have to find out more).

Would anyone be able to link me to guides, helpful pages etc for the things listed above? I have decent knowledge on them but I would like to read up on some more so I can make sure I get the job :P

Thanks.
 

6 comments

Good decision and I think you have more than most of the concurrency , but one more thing - self-confidence = faith in your skills = success .Good luck !
 
With regards to Apache I would think it means knowing where config files are located and a little knowledge on how Apache works and how it's configured when a new site is added etc. How to troubleshoot when errors and warnings show up in the logs.

Other server side scripts would most likely mean MySQL and PHP at the least. Having ample knowledge to solve common issues as well as an extended knowledge when it comes to a little more difficult troubleshooting.

DNS I would assume is helping a user setup their newly acquired domain name and having the patience to deal with the utmost retarded of people.

:|
 
I've always thought about applying for a job like that due to my 7+ years of experience. I haven't really ever looked for one tho. Good luck to you!
 
The only thing about these jobs is that you will be fired if you don't follow there expectations..

They want proper grammar, formal greetings, always business nothing more, you have to keep up with the tickets as more replies come in..

Its not a easy job until your there for a while. I promise u they will be monitoring ur ass haha..


Also you wont no everything.. I promise you.. they want you to answer things there way,, not the way u know how to do things
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

About the author

T
Active Member · Joined
239
Messages
31
Reactions
28
Points

Advertise on WJunction

Reach 1000's of webmasters, hosts & affiliates. Banner & sponsored-thread slots available.

Contact us
Back
Top Bottom