Looking for VPS, How much RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mme42

I was wondering if I could get some estimations on how much RAM to shoot for when looking for a VPS? We run a vBulletin forum and at peak times have about 50-60 members online concurrently with the addition of anywhere between 200 -300 guests that can browse threads in certain sections (as well as forumdisplays for the whole site) but not post. We're also growing a little every day so we'd like to have some extra room to expand of course. We run a moderate amount of plugs/modifications (maybe 10-15). Does anybody know what we should shoot for approximately?

9 comments
Cool, even with around 300 or so guests that can browse threads in part of the site? Thanks for the quick reply :D

Yeh, plus you get burst ram too (well u get it on Plutost lol) so you can use a bit (usually double size than guaranteed ram) more if its available. But it usually is (:

If you have CPanel/WHM installed, i suggest you to go directly with 512MB DDR.
more often company offers high burst ram are unusable when servers is overloaded.

xmsax - True. That's why you should choose a serious hosting company that cares about overloading and limits stocks (:

But LxAdmin is more leightweight than cPanel and you can do everything you could do in cPanel. If not you have SSH access :P.

Thanks for the replies :D How does Direct Admin compare to Cpanel and LxAdmin resource wise? Or what are some of the best lightweight options?

with hypervm (somehing like whm, comes with vps) you directly have the option to install lxadmin, so why wouldnt you? :P

plus, u dont have to worry bout cpanel licences and stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back