Help with Computer Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smexy

Hey guys, I think there's something wrong with my pc.

I have experienced using 1gbps dedicated servers with download speeds reaching 125MB/s

now I'm using my desktop and my disk to disk copy speed has an average of 80MB/s :( I think something is wrong with my setup.

please help me. could it be the OS i am running or my hardware setup?

full specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.2Ghz Stable Overclocked.
G Skill Trident RAM @ 2 x 2GB DDR3 1632 Mhz CL 7-7-7-21
Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H motherboard.
Seagate SATA2 6GB/s HDD
GTX550ti 1Gb/192bit GDDR5 Graphics Card
700w Cougar Modular Powersupply

Last edited:
11 comments
Are you stupid enough to put 32 Bit on a Hex core with 4GB of ram? :P
Come on mate, you're practically throwing your money down the drain.

Also, 80MB/s is VERY fast.
The 1GBit dedi you were using has RAID0 or similar, hence the crazy speeds. Also, RAID0 is highly unstable (kind of like FSO's servers :P)
If you want faster copy speeds, I suggest you go for RAID10. :)

PS: You don't need faster copy speeds than 80MB/s unless you're a scene/p2p encoder. :P

Regards

HDD to HDD copy speed ? Or some other type of disk to HDD ?

I don't really see how 80MB/s from HDD to HDD is slow. I don't see how copying files from one partition to other at 80MB/s can be slow :)

Are you stupid enough to put 32 Bit on a Hex core with 4GB of ram? :P
Come on mate, you're practically throwing your money down the drain.
mate your seriously stupid to believe that 32 Bit can only use 3.25Gb. Windows Server 2003 32Bit can use upto 32Gb of ram. microsoft is stupid. so i patched the kernel.
I don't really see how 80MB/s from HDD to HDD is slow. I don't see how copying files from one partition to other at 80MB/s can be slow
80MB/s is slow if you have experienced downloading for 125MB/s from the internet.

Scene / P2P encoder = no
Video Editing for Work = Yes

Try to do Disk fragmentation, have heard it helps

Thanks I'll try this now.

yes as you see guys there is a common misconception about 32-bit OS. it's all about licensing.

32-bit MS operating systems are programmed to read only 3.25gb not because it can only handle 3.25gb that's because MS wants you to buy their 64 bit OS.

I can even use 8GB ram with my 32bit OS. there's a patch for the kernel to make it use more than 3.25gb but still there is that 16gb limit so you can't have 4 x 6 on an x58 chipset.

I have a screenshot of my windows benchmark but then again. >< I don't know where to fix the issue

[slide]http://lulzimg.com/i22/c98c3d.png[/slide]

Last edited:
Your HD blows.

Code:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/Seagate-Barracuda-XT-2TB-SATA-6Gb-s-HDD_Peripheral_review_sata-6gb-s-versus-sata-3gb-s_Page-2

Youre better off with the new HD Black or Velociraptor. Or just get a SSD

hey dro thanks for the review page so should I get a barracuda XT or a velociraptor? I heard velociraptors have low lifespans.

Stream I already tried fragmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back