Status
Not open for further replies.

muad_dib

At the moment I'm with aruba.it, with one dedicated firewall and 8u of colocation. Anyhow they announced me a change of their pricing model, in effect from the 1st of January, that makes them not price-competitive anymore. This is why I'm looking around for a dedicated servers provider, and a friend of mine suggested me to try ecatel, because they are one of the few european provider with a dedicated uplink to Italy, via Tiscali.

At first they seemed sketchy, because they don't have a website, anyhow I took the time to contact them. I knew from the past that their sales support is rude, sometimes even insulting customers. Anyhow I didn't knew that the turnaround of their sales support was so bad, taking from a minimum of 24 hours up to 96 hours to answer basic sales email.

I was just trying to understand if I could move my actual setup in their DC, gradually. Who would move all their webservers to a DC without a website, which they didn't ever worked with before? My goal was to rent their cheapest dedi and test their network for a month or two before moving the bulk of my hardware.

In their sales brochure they invite to contact them to test their network free of any charge, or to make any question. The problem is that they don't reply to basic sales question, which could be easily answered by simply pointing to the above mentioned brochures.

The answer they gave me, left me astonished:

Dear A.,

Our business is just simple. We try to keep all correspondence short and simple. You/your customer is asking everything what's possible to ask..
We cant make pages of text for a simple sale we make a few EUR profit on.

the best with your search.

Best regards,
ECATEL (NETHERLANDS) LIMITED.

---

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

Ticket Details
===================
Ticket ID: EGC-190305
Department: Information & support
Priority: High

I still kept my composure, as I understand that if you are a businessman you need to eat a lot of shit:

Dear Ecatel,

Yes. Customers make questions. If you want to reduce the cost of sales management, create a website.

I will ask you just one question:

Which is the cheapest dedi?

Thanks,
A.

But their second answer, this time very quick, was even worse:

Dear A.

Thank you for your advise.
Regarding your question about cheapest dedicated. We are not interested in making you any offer anymore.

Kind regards,

Here's a pastebin of the whole email exchange, so that you can judge by yourself.

Keep in mind that I always let AT LEAST 24 hours pass by before contacting them again, not counting Friday or week ends.

I'm not trying to save some bucks, as there are much cheaper providers out there (hetzner anyone?). All I wanted is to use their Tiscali Uplink which is very good for Italy.

Telling a customer that he is not appreciated, only because he is making some questions, after they invited me themselves to make more questions, is VERY rude.

I have a dedicated sales team of 2 people, and I pay roughly 1500$ a month. I'm MUCH MUCH smaller than they are, and still I can afford it.

Given that in the past their sales service insulted other customer, I think they just need to fire the sales assistant. I bet their management would not be happy to hear about this.

Do you think I made too many questions?

I didn't asked for the moon, just for very basic questions. If you don't make these questions, you can end up with a very bad surprises.

Look at the setup they proposed me: 1TB Disk.

What 1TB? Raid? JBOD? Or maybe I shouldn't care?

They lacks the most basic infos.

35 comments
to be honest, that is a hell lot of questions mate...

you could've made your questions shorter & gave them some hints about server specification you after

Been a customer for a year.

- Bad english typing support.
- Slow support, 1or2 days to reply.
- They are rude, you are correct.
- Their main site is still under construction for more than a year.
- They mentality is not okay, they think they are the best.

THIS ALL is the reason that they are cheap, they HAVE to provide low pricing because they know they suck with the rest.

If you require the following:

- Good communication with support.
- Fast support.
- Friendly support.
- Helpful support.

Then you should NOT go with Ecatel.

EDIT: Their support system is a bit laggy too, you also need to submit a ticket if you want to reboot your server instead of clicking on a reboot button.

Assuming I'm gonna ignore the problems with the staff (since the staff won't make the servers work any better, at least not directly), what can you say about their hardware and connectivity?

Their hardware is okay, and network is okay for now. Some times an upstream provider stops working with Ecatel and your server will be offline in a few countries but they got a new provider fast. These things happen with Ecatel because they ignore loads of complains.

If you require the following:

- Good communication with support.
- Fast support.
- Friendly support.
- Helpful support.

Then you should NOT go with Ecatel.

In all fairness, by what you're saying is that they seem decent if you don't need support.

Ontopic: Personally I know what it's like when you're selling something to someone and they ask you loads of questions, usually the person who asks all the questions never ends up buying.

I'm talking about support.

To reboot a server? You need to wait a day if SSH is not working.
To upgrade hardware? E.g. Memory you need to wait 3 WEEKS.
You ordered a server with 8GB RAM? You get 4GB RAM.

Why people host at such sites?
updown.gif

Assuming I'm gonna ignore the problems with the staff (since the staff won't make the servers work any better, at least not directly), what can you say about their hardware and connectivity?

There's a thread in here about some speed tests to their network, try to search it. The odd thing was, they were getting very slow speeds to NL servers :)) when they're in NL themselves.

Also I remember uploading to Filesonic (EU) is slow on their network, last time I checked.

I'm talking about support.

To reboot a server? You need to wait a day if SSH is not working.
To upgrade hardware? E.g. Memory you need to wait 3 WEEKS.
You ordered a server with 8GB RAM? You get 4GB RAM.

Getting bad support, I can ignore. But getting less hardware than I paid for, I'm not gonna allow that...

Hmmmm... Maybe I better think this decision over for a bit first...

What you should do is request a server something along the lines of what you have in mind and ask them if they have something like that. That way they can tell you what they can provide you and how much for.

I already got a quote from them and the price is OK. I just wanna know if the service is good before I get it. Some of the people I talked to say speeds to NL filehosts are good, and some say not so good...

I guess there's just one way to find out for sure, but it's not gonna be cheap if I find out it's no good though... :-?

Everytime Ecatel gets a thread made about them here they usally pop up, This will get intresting

Yeah! I really hope they do pop up around here... That'll give me a chance to ask them a few things and maybe get a fast and detailed response... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back