Hosts & Webmasters Plz Advise : vB Usage and Legal Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indian

Banned
Banned
Dear WebMasters and Hosts,

I Thought i knew all, but browsing the forum gave rise to several questions.

My Queries :

1. How to ensure that the script ( say vB ) i am using does not "overuse" the server ( sitting on a shared account ) ?

Recently i came across a post where a Fourm with 40 Members and a few Hundred Posts was suspended just because the Host categorized as Server Misuse.

2. I Thought that if one is hosted on a offshore server that actually permits Nulled Scripts will be IMMUNIZED to DMCA notices or literally he need not care.

However, in most of the Threads where users have reported to have received DMCA for vB ( even on a offshore server allowed NULLED ), Members have suggested the receiver to BUY the License.

If One is Bound to Buy the license even on an Offshore server as well, Is "Nulled Allowed" an Illusion Till u are actually Caught ?

3. If a user Does NOT remove the Forum what are Next steps after the DMCA Notices from the party issuing the Notice.
In case of an Offshore Host can the Host ask to Terminate VB ?

4. I have head of "Fake DMCA Notices" why does any one send such notices , whats the purpose.
Also, what is the practical meaning of "My host ignores the DMCA Notices" .. can it be done by the host forever . ( in reference to offshore Hosts ).

If one Consistently ignores such notices what are the implication for a] The Host b] The End User

5. I have an Legit owned vB License, if i use it for TWO Domains on the SAME server, Will it be Still License Violation ?

6. I can download VB 3.x OR 4.x Both from my members area can u please advice which is Better n why ?

7. Can (vB) Themes from warez Forums, be caught? I am looking to get one from CompleteVB but wish to have all of them !!

6 comments
Dear WebMasters and Hosts,

I Thought i knew all, but browsing the forum gave rise to several questions.

My Queries :

1. How to ensure that the script ( say vB ) i am using does not "overuse" the server ( sitting on a shared account ) ?
Just make sure you don't add loads of unneccisay things and stay within your bandwith, or that there arn't to many users foryour type of hosting plan

Recently i came across a post where a Fourm with 40 Members and a few Hundred Posts was suspended just because the Host categorized as Server Misuse.
It could be anything really, could possibly be spam, which is intended to cause disruption, by server he probably means the site as a whole, so misuse the site could also mean to misuse the serve he is on

2. I Thought that if one is hosted on a offshore server that actually permits Nulled Scripts will be IMMUNIZED to DMCA notices or literally he need not care.
However, in most of the Threads where users have reported to have received DMCA for vB ( even on a offshore server allowed NULLED ), Members have suggested the receiver to BUY the License.
Yes because it would then make it legal

If One is Bound to Buy the license even on an Offshore server as well, Is "Nulled Allowed" an Illusion Till u are actually Caught ?
It means that the DMCA can't get you befcause your hosted in a country where they either won't bother, or the laws are different,

3. If a user Does NOT remove the Forum what are Next steps after the DMCA Notices from the party issuing the Notice.
In case of an Offshore Host can the Host ask to Terminate VB ?
The hos can remove the site from being online, as it is them who would get the blame, they would start law proceedinbg unless you were offshore

4. I have head of "Fake DMCA Notices" why does any one send such notices , whats the purpose.
Also, what is the practical meaning of "My host ignores the DMCA Notices" .. can it be done by the host forever . ( in reference to offshore Hosts ).
People who do that are losers, who think its funny. DMCA stands for Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)

If one Consistently ignores such notices what are the implication for a] The Host b] The End User
You will both get sued to kingdom come

5. I have an Legit owned vB License, if i use it for TWO Domains on the SAME server, Will it be Still License Violation ?
No

6. I can download VB 3.x OR 4.x Both from my members area can u please advice which is Better n why ?
4.0 because its the most recent, stable version

7. Can (vB) Themes from warez Forums, be caught? I am looking to get one from CompleteVB but wish to have all of them !!
yes

I hope that helped, I think at least most of it is right

Thanks a Ton.
Indeed it cleared my doubts and other users who have any similar confusion regarding Nulled Scripts and Usage.

Are u sure :
Quote:
No.
I was thinking that since the server will be same one can have multiple VBs but them doesn't it translate that all shared users on ONE server can make 1000 VBs under one license ?

WarezTown, do some resarch, since you're misleading Indian in few questions...

1. Get good host. Forum scripts don't use high enough resources to get you kicked from shared hosting ( unless you have huge forum with like 1000 of online members at one time, but when you get that big, you can afford dedicated server)
2. "offshore" can mean many countries - from europe ( technicaly there's no DMCA law, but there are other copyright laws in place, so if someone will whine long enough you will get kicked, asia ( hong kong etc - hosts usually forward every mail with "DMCA" in it to /dev/null :) ) to rusian, iranian, ukrainian, etc hosts ran by mafia and RBN - they absolutely dont care what you host with them - phising, trojan, CP...
3. there are many "offshore" host, and even one host can have servers in different countries and different policies. For example WRZhost hosts you in netherland by default, but when he recieves few complaints he will move you to hong kong server...
4. people sometimes send bogus DMCA, pretending to be copyright owners, to troll others. just kids play, ignore.
5. vB license is for domain, not server. It's illegal, and can make your license invalid ( they will e-mail you first to remove files from second domain or buy license for it first, so don't worry - you can act when you get e-mail from them
6. I'm not using 4.0 but i hear it sucks. dont know why...
7. yes they can, just like any other software. just don't worry about it, since people dont look around web looking for pirated themes, and when you get big enough to get noticed you will make enough $ to buy own theme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back