Having a bad day with hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinc

Since I got my sites down due to server failure of my web host 3 years ago, I have tried to have at least two separate hosting so that in case one server is down, I still have a backup to redirect my sites from the other server.

Today, the two web host suspended my accounts in a single day.

1st Host. This Host, I found here at wjunction - suspended my account because I used an auto-blogging script using curl. The scripts are using cron and only fires up 2x a day.

The web host said that my script is using too much CPU. It has been there for a couple of months and no problem.

2nd Host. This is one of the top web hosting company around offering unlimited hosting & bandwidth. Now, I got suspended because I exceeded the 10% CPU allocation.

I now believe the posts here that there is no such thing as unlimited. They are now offering me dedicated server @ $149/mo. That's ridiculous!

With what happen, I am again on the hunt for a better web host.

9 comments
Hey,

If you are using a lot of CPU it causes troubles for other clients in a shared environment. Consider using a VPS.

I'm currently hosted at KnownSRV. But, I think your site should be hosted on VPS. So better check out some of their VPS Plans. Just because that your script would use too much CPU on their server for Shared hosting. However, if your script isn't using much CPU, you could buy shared web hosting package. Better talk with someone from their support about it.

I am sorry for the problems you have been having.
Have you tried semi dedicated hosting?

Have you tried to make any changes to your script to use less resources?

yeah man, CPU is the biggest problem with shared hosts. Even the slightest usage slows everyone else down and that just can't happen. Look for semi dedicated and vps solutions, and just remember you get what you pay for :)

You can't expect to pay $5/month and use even 1/10th of the servers cpu, seeing as a server costs around $150/month. Paying $5 will get you 1/30th of the cpu which means a small forum with maximum users online of 50 people and few cronjobs.

yeah man, CPU is the biggest problem with shared hosts. Even the slightest usage slows everyone else down and that just can't happen. Look for semi dedicated and vps solutions, and just remember you get what you pay for :)

You can't expect to pay $5/month and use even 1/10th of the servers cpu, seeing as a server costs around $150/month. Paying $5 will get you 1/30th of the cpu which means a small forum with maximum users online of 50 people and few cronjobs.

exactly, what people don't understand is that shared hosting is for SMALL sites. not sites with 1000+ people.

that's why there are other options out there such as semi dedicated hosting, vps, dedicated servers, cloud, etc.

I would defiantly look into a VPS. You could probably get one on the smaller side, depending on how many visitors you get. VPS would be better also because you could have full control over everything.

Good luck with your blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back